Wednesday 28 September 2011

My love-hate relationship with KTO

Hi all,

Hope, you all are doing fine. Here's my story.

I would have been probably the last person to do a journalism course. But thanks to recession, some savings, and a mindset to use all opportunities that come my way, landed me at the lion's den ( read KTO's kingdom).
My first interaction with him lasted for 10 minutes, and I struggled to think of suitable words to answer him. Once, I uttered, 'I earned good money in my last job.' To which, the great jouralism teacher replied, 'Can there be

any bad money?'.

That's when I took my first step into journalism. But, at that time, I didn't even had a smallest of an inclination, the various such learning I will go through during the one-year course. I remember the time, I used to be very

angry with him, and bunked the whole day of class. But at times, I used to long to attend his three to four hours of paper revision, where he used the most choicest of words and humour to make the class come alive.

I remember, he once threw most of the students out of the institute, as we were having breakfast late, and were not spending time reading newspapers.  While most of the boys went to sleep, I longed to attend the paper

revision class. But my batchmates called me mad. We spent the whole day doing nothing.

Also, KTO had a strange habit of changing his own rules. He would deliberately, sometimes, choose the idea which were not approved by the editor of the week, and let the reporter pursues a story which he gave just for

the heck of it. There was a meaning in everything he did. If he swaps a story between reporters, much to their dislike, or asked to take a story during the last few minutes of the deadline, there was a reason. He wants to

prepare his pupils into the nitty and gritties of the professional journalism world.

I would say, your journalism is incomplete without studying under this great teacher.

Please do share your experiences and ancedotes.

A fan of KTO

No comments:

Post a Comment